Recent School Events (Black History Month, YWCC, Pi Day)

GALA’s leadership elective has celebrated many events this past year. In this article I will talk about some of the most recent events this semester.

On February 18th, 2022, GALA’s leadership elective arranged a Black History Month celebration. There were a lot of things that were organized for us, like a bake sale, poetry, and other performances. But the majority of the event were stands which included information about Black Fashion, Evolution of Rock and roll, Black directors, Future of beauty and Black pop artists. “It really represented us and our culture.” Said 6th grader Amaiya M. and 7th grader Zoe O. said, “I thought that the celebration was really important. I thought that the kids put a lot of hard work into the posters and I really enjoyed learning about black culture and history.”

Friday, March 4, 2022 was GALA’s YWCC (Young Women’s Career Conference). The YWCC was an annual event arranged by the YWCC committee, a group of dedicated GALA parents, led by Heather Kampf. It was a series of online chats with women with careers from entrepreneurship to computer science. In the morning there was a session for just the introduction of YWCC and what it is, as well as some other speakers like Dr. Kristi Funk. After that, students had their own schedules, until the end of the day, we all had another session. After that, Natasha Case, the founder of Coolhaus ice cream, generously provided ice cream for students at GALA! “As a 6th grader at GALA it really opened my eyes and it really informed me about different careers.” -Ella S. “I thought that the community sports session was very inspiring.” – Chloe E.

On March 16, 2022, GALA celebrated Pi Day. The Pi Day celebration was put together by the GALA leadership elective and went on from 2:30 to 3:30. They had stands containing history of math, scramble, a game where you have to say the amount of digits of pie the wheel lands on, and prizes where students can get bracelets and candy! And at the end, Mr. Hale, Ms. Clark, and Ms. Reid got pied in the face!