The Robb Elementary School Massacre: The Deadliest School Shooting Since Sandy Hook

CBC News

Robb Elementary School Shooting Victims

On May 24th of 2022, 18-year-old Salvador Ramos opened fire at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas killing 21 people. 19 children and two teachers lost their lives.

The start of the day of the shooting was lively as students and staff approached the end of the year and class graduation that was to be held that upcoming weekend. Robb Elementary began the day by celebrating its honor roll students and their foreseen bright futures, unaware that 19 of those students would have those bright futures abruptly and cruelly taken away soon thereafter.

Salvador Ramos entered the school after shooting his grandmother, who thankfully survived and called the police, in the face, and then drove his car into a ditch. According to the Texas Department of Safety’s Regional Director, Victor Escalon, Ramos exited his car bearing a rifle and wearing armor and shot two people across the street before entering the elementary school.

Ramos locked himself in one classroom after walking through the school doors and then proceeded to open fire. CNN reports the gunman “was not confronted by police before he entered the school.” Before law enforcement arrived, Ramos was in the elementary school for over an hour. When the police did arrive, it was too late. After arriving, police allegedly tried bargaining with Ramos before forcing entry into the classroom and fatally shooting him.

The Robb Elementary School Shooting is the US’ 27th school shooting of 2022 and marks the deadliest school shooting since the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting of 2012. On top of this, The Robb Elementary School shooting is the 214th mass shooting of 2022.

Loved ones wrote beautiful and heart-wrenching testimonies about the students and teachers lost in the school shooting in an article published by the LA Times.

The 19 children and two teachers who lost their lives are as follows, may they rest in peace:

Alexandria Aniyah Rubio, 10
Alithia Ramirez, 10
Amerie Jo Garza, 10
Annabell Guadalupe Rodriguez, 10
Eliahana Cruz Torres, 10
Eliana “Ellie” Garcia, 9
Eva Mireles (teacher), 44
Irma Garcia (teacher), (age unknown)
Jackie Cazares, 10
Jailah Nicole Silguero, 10
Jayce Luevanos, 10
Jose Flores, 10
Layla Salazar, 10
Makenna Lee Elrod, 10
Maite Rodriguez (student), (age unknown)
Miranda Mathis, 11
Nevaeh Bravo (student), (age unknown)
Rojelio Torres, 10
Tess Marie Mata (student), (age unknown)
Uziyah Garcia, 10
Xavier Lopez, 10