College Spotlight: NYU

Here is a photo of the Kimmel Center for University Life. It is right next to Washington square park.

College: New York University
Amount of Undergraduate Degrees: 143
Majors & Fields of Study: 98 majors & 25 fields of study.
Location: New York City, New York
Type of College: Private

From the infamous torch to the lively school spirit, New York University (NYU) is a prestigious college that provides a unique experience to its students. Founded in 1831, NYU has made its name in the world of college education. Students who attend NYU come from all of the states in the USA and 133 countries around the world.

Today I had the pleasure of interviewing Rachel Wilson, one of NYU’s graduate students, about her experiences while attending this university while majoring in musical theater. Below you can find everything from her college experience to a review of the academics that NYU offers.

Wilson was introduced to NYU from a young age, thanks to family who had also attended the university. Wilson explains that “[she] really started dreaming of going to NYU in the fifth grade when [she] saw [her] older sister apply to college, and began to conceptualize what that might look like for [her}.” And it looked like a “whirlwind.”

Wilson says that “The coursework was intense, and I almost always took the maximum amount of credits. My days started at 8 a.m., my breaks were filled with work-study (an on-campus job).” Musical theater or not, all 98 majors that NYU offers are action-packed with hard work, late nights, and dedication. With rigorous academic programs and a variety of institutes and centers; NYU is a challenging college to attend, describing itself as an “academic enterprise.”

What makes NYU so unique compared to other reputable universities around the world?

“There was an amazing benefit of going to college in such a large city with so many opportunities beyond the campus,” says Wilson, “I met many amazing people outside of my formal education, and was able to feel connected to both my school and my city.”

This is entirely true. Because of the easy access to the city around it, and the versatile campus environment, students are able to meet many amazing friends, acquaintances, and mentors.

Wilson explains that, “The campus of NYU is incredibly connected to the city. This is not a fenced-off section of town. Instead, buildings are scattered around several neighborhoods in New York. Our ‘college green’, where I spent a lot of time relaxing, is Washington Square Park. Where you can stand in the middle of it and see the Empire State Building one way and the One World Trade Center the other,” Wilson says, “Here, you are in the heart of Greenwich Village, there is so much to do and explore.”

However, NYU students aren’t just limited to one campus. Want to study somewhere outside of the US? NYU has campuses in Abu Dhabi and Shanghai.

NYU isn’t simply unique because of its flexible campuses and access to the city. Students receive countless opportunities when attending the university. NYU offers more than 400 student-run clubs, 21 varsity sports teams, countless performance groups, 21 club sports, and a variety of community service as well as leadership opportunities. Not to mention, the study abroad programs that NYU offers in Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Florence, and more breathtaking places around the world.

One of the most notable parts of what makes NYU so special is the academics themselves. With 143 undergraduate degrees, 11 institutes, 98 majors, and 25 fields of study, NYU has countless immersive learning programs and professors that care about each and every one of their students. NYU explains that professors are individuals “whose work reflects exceptional breadth and some of whose work is interdisciplinary. Because of this interdisciplinary dimension, the title of ‘University Professor’ carries a somewhat different meaning at NYU than similar titles carry at other universities.” Wilson says that her own experience with professors at NYU was mostly positive and that “What I liked the most was learning about their varied careers and the experiences that they brought to the classroom. I saw firsthand from my professors that all artists do more than one thing. This was inspiring to expand my goals and look beyond performance as my only career trajectory.”

When asked about the application process at NYU, Wilson stressed how important it is to “just be you.” Whether you’re in the process of auditioning in person, writing your college essays, or writing about why you want to go to your selected university, it is important to be truthful with your own thoughts and opinions about how you want to come across. These are extremely essential characteristics for NYU, which makes sense given that it is one of the leading institutions in the country.

For more Information, go to: https://www.nyu.edu/