The Echo

The Student News Site of Girls Academic Leadership Academy

The Echo

The Echo

So You Want to Read the News, but Don’t Know Where to Start?

Britannica

As a student, I always want to stay up to date with the latest news and what’s going on in the world. As a teenager, however, I find most news sources somewhat overwhelming and difficult to understand. So, here are my top three best news sources for people who don’t have the news literacy capacities of adults – yet.

The Washington Post YouTube Shorts, TikTok, and Instagram accounts

The Washington Post, a major American newspaper, maintains YouTube shorts and TikTok accounts. I love this resource because it covers major news in fun, easy-to-digest videos. The publication ensures that comprehension of the news is not only simple, but intriguing and entertaining, too. Each video averages only a minute. You can check out their YouTube here.  

The New York Times Kids Section

Did you know that the New York Times (NYT) has a published section dedicated to kids? The last Sunday of every month, NYT publishes a print-only kids section. This section has all of the most beloved and infamous aspects of NYT: crossword puzzles, recipes, comics, and of course, news stories. This will help you to keep up with current events, as well as find the true, youth-oriented stories, interesting professions, statistics, and more. You can buy the 2023 issues here.  

The Echo

Our very own The Echo is an excellent resource for learning about what’s going on in the world! Under the “Current Events” tab, there are wonderfully well-written and well-sourced news articles written by members of The Echo staff. These are selected by GALA students who cover topics we know you want to hear about, and they’re super easy and accessible. 

Happy reading!