College Spotlight: Columbia University

College: Columbia University

Amount of Undergraduate Degrees: 90

Amount of Majors: More than 100

Location: New York, New York

Type of College: Private Ivy League 

It’s hard to sum up a college as esteemed as Columbia University, but if one had to,  they would most certainly use the school’s motto “In Lumine Tuo Videbimus Lumen.” These golden words translate to “In your light, we see the light,” a sentence that greatly reflects the values and honors of the university itself.

Regarded as one of the most prestigious colleges in the world, Columbia offers many respectable degrees and majors to its students. However, there is so much more to Columbia University than its reputable fields of study. Today I will be taking a deep dive into Columbia University’s academics, campus, and student life. 

Columbia University was founded in 1754 by George III, but it was originally known as King’s College. It was not until 1854 that it was reopened under the name Columbia. However, the name isn’t the only thing that has changed since its opening. Originally the campus was located in Park Place but it has since been relocated to Broadway and 116th Street. 

It is hard to imagine any different campus location for the University, as it is so influential to the students’ daily life. With a 36 acre campus and over 30 first-year residence halls, Columbia University’s campus is a dazzling one. Students have easy access to New York City, but they are also tucked away from all the hustle and bustle when necessary. 

Tired after a busy night out in the city? You could retreat into one of the university’s twenty-five cozy libraries or take a stroll through the peaceful campus at dusk.

What really makes the campus special are the students who inhabit it. From snowball fights on the low steps to the Tree Lighting Ceremony, the campus of Columbia University is bubbling with life. One of the major parts of student life at Columbia University are the 500+ student-run organizations and clubs. With over 50 performance groups and more than 60 social justice clubs and organizations, there is something for everyone when it comes to the student-led opportunities at Columbia. And this doesn’t just apply to the variety of clubs. 

Ranked second in national universities, Columbia University offers more than 100 majors to choose from and a variety of rigorous academic programs. Furthermore, Columbia University explains that beyond their academics they have “three undergraduate schools, thirteen graduate and professional schools, a world-renowned medical center, four affiliated colleges and seminaries, and more than one hundred research centers and institutes.” Additionally, Columbia University is home to the famed Pulitzer Prize, and the ceremony itself takes place on its campus. 

From academics to student life, Columbia University is a hub for education, fun experiences, and an illustrious campus. There are many parts of the university that make it what it is today. Students across the world aspire to go to Columbia University and sit on the low steps and study in one of the many libraries on campus. And it’s easy to see why: it’s Columbia University, a place brimming with dazzling experiences.

For More Information check out Columbia University’s Website: https://www.columbia.edu/ 

Bibliography 

Columbia University. “YCC Timeline of Accomplishments.” Columbia University, https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.columbia.edu/content/academics&sa=D&source=docs&ust=1648774514279979&usg=AOvVaw1hoLOgDtENXL8UfJSD1i2Z.